Tuesday 15 February 2011

The Scrooge of Valentine's.

Despite what some may think, there is a reason this post is a day late. In fact, isn't at all late. It's right on time. 

There are a lot of things I loathe about Valentine's Day, the merchandise for one, but the worst thing about the day is pressure.

All over the world, people stress about the perfect Valentine's gift - the perfect way to say those three little words that will make someone's day.

When I met my husband, he thought it was some kind of female trickery when I told him my anti-romantic views on the holiday. Considering the way a lot of women operate, I can see why he was worried. Only when I didn't commit a crime of passion when he arrived home empty handed on February 14th the first year we were together convinced him I was telling the truth.

I know what you're all thinking - that I must have had bad experience. A terrible boyfriend. Cruel school friends. Years of bitter spinsterhood. None of these are true. I just don't like what Valentine's Day represents. 

What I find most disturbing is the lengths people go to. The money they spend. And for what? To prove their love? I believe that should be shown all year round, not on one simple day when the calendar dictates it or because someone says they should. It shouldn't take a card shop cramming it down your throat to want to do something nice for your significant other.

My husband and I don't celebrate Valentine's Day. I'm not a romantic and he is. We don't waste money on cards that says what we both already know. Besides, I never read the printed message in cards - I go straight for what the person themselves has written. 

I can appreciate that some people have bucket loads of affection in their hearts and are overjoyed to express it on Valentine's Day. But here's a thought - wouldn't it be better, even more romantic, to have a day that belongs to just the two of you rather than every other person on the planet? I would appreciate an out-of-the-blue surprise way more than a here's-one-of-the-thousand-things-they-hand-in-the-shop surprises.

Bah Humbug, Valentine's Day!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wench Writers

Wench Writers

My Awards

My Awards

Counter

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP