Thursday 5 April 2012

Book Review: Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

  • Paperback: 336 pages
  • Publisher: Atom (7 Feb 2012)
  • Language English
  • ISBN-10: 1907411054
  • ISBN-13: 978-1907411052
  • WORLDS KEPT THEM APART. 

    DESTINY BROUGHT THEM TOGETHER. 

    Aria has lived her whole life in the protected dome of Reverie. Her entire world confined to its spaces, she's never thought to dream of what lies beyond its doors. So when her mother goes missing, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland long enough to find her are slim. 

    Then Aria meets an outsider named Perry. He's searching for someone too. He's also wild - a savage - but might be her best hope at staying alive. 

    If they can survive, they are each other's best hope for finding answers 


Under the Never Sky took my breath away. It wove itself around me, tempting me with beautiful prose and foreign worlds and two characters so completely different they were yin and yang.

Aria has spent her whole life in reverie. The dome protects her from the outside world that would surely kill her. She spent her life in a cyber world reality with her smart-eye connecting her to friends and her mother, who, due to her work, is away more often than not. With a thought, Aria can be snowboarding. Waterskiing. Anything she wants. But when her mother disappears, Aria must look beyond the make-believe and turn her real eye to the outside.

Perry is an Outsider. A hunter for his tribe. All his life he has known violence and anger and the sharp claws of the beasts he must bring back for food. He sees Aria as weak and fragile. An enemy. Aria sees him as a savage. Something not to be trusted. But trust each other they must, if they want to find what they are looking for.

Under the Never Sky is told in alternative POVs from Aria and Perry. I LOVED being in their heads. Most of the time with split POV books, I look forward to one in particular. Not this case. This time I devoured every single word from each character. I couldn’t get enough.

The worlds of Aria and Perry couldn’t be more different. But each is described with enchanting prose that make the background feel real, as though the book came with its own Smart-Eye and I was a guest on Aria and Perry’s adventure.

I cannot wait for the sequel. There have been a lot of competition on the dystopian front, especially with so many new talents emerging this year. Rossi is more than holding her own.

4 comments:

Anonymous,  5 April 2012 at 13:28  

I am so glad you liked the book. I did too. It is quite different. Very imaginative and very well written.

BookBreather 5 April 2012 at 17:56  

I really enjoyed this book. My favorite part was definitely the character development and the slow burning romance! Nice review :)

Celine 6 April 2012 at 14:25  

Great review! You're making me very curious for this one (: I hope to get to it soon

Celine ~ Nyx Book Reviews

teeny104 13 April 2012 at 09:57  

BookBreather, same for me :) I loved the bickering between them, made me chuckle a lot!

Celine, you have to get it, definitely one of my favourite reads this year :)

Pxx

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wench Writers

Wench Writers

My Awards

My Awards

Counter

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP